Cannabis contains more than 113 chemical compounds called cannabinoids. THC is one of those responsible for making you high.
Cannabis high can last anywhere from 2 to 10 hours, depending on a range of factors.
Cannabis affects everyone differently, so it’s hard to predict exactly how long you’ll feel the effects. Starting with a low dose and less potent strain can help keep you from getting too high, whereas opting for edibles will help to extend things a bit.
Factors that affect your high:
- how much you consume and what strain
- How much THC it contains
- Your body weight and metabolism
- Whether or not you have eaten
- your tolerance
How quickly you feel the effects and how long do they last?
How long the effects last can vary greatly depending on the dose and potency. The more you use and the higher the THC content, the longer the effects will stick around.
- Smoking or Vaping- you can start feeling it as soon as it enters your bloodstream via your lungs typically within 2 min.The effect peaks around 10min and lasts up to 1-3 hrs and longer
- Eating- your digestive system metabolizes cannabis through liver when you eat it and it can take up to 60-90 min. The effects usually peak around 2 hrs and canlast up to 24 hrs
- Dabbing- a highly concentrated form of marijuana is smoked through a pipe. Dabs have a higher THC content so the high kicks in almost instant. The effects usually last up to 3 hrs up to a whle day
Is there a way to cut the high short faster?
- Take a nap- sleeping helps eliminate cannabis from your system leaving you more alive
- Try some black pepper- caroplyllene, a compound in peppercorn, ncreases the sedative effects of THC which can calm you. Just take a sniff without inhaling it or chew a couple of whole peppercorns.
- Pine nuts -Pinene, found in pine nuts has calming effects
- Try some CBD- CBD may counteract the effects of THC. THC causes the hight you get and CBD helps dull your high.
- Have some lemon peel - lemons, especially the peel contain compound that also has an effect that may counteract some psychoactive effects of THC. Ty steeping in hot water and sip away
What about extending it?
If you’re looking for a longer-lasting high, consider sticking with edibles which can be a big help if you’re using cannabis for medical purposes.
Drinking before using cannabis — even just one drink — can heighten the effects of THC. This combo can cause some folks to “green out” and experience some pretty unpleasant symptoms like nausea, vomitting, sweating.